Fashion inspiration for the artistic and fashionable Senior
One of the top questions I get asked is –WHAT DO I WEAR FOR MY SENIOR PORTRAITS?
I decided to take a minute to help all you seniors think about one of the most fun parts- clothes. Here are some tips! And..(Don’t hate me moms) ..but don’t be afraid to go shopping for the PERFECT outfit. Truthfully- that’s what I do when I have to get my picture taken. I always FEEL better and more confident with something new and fun…and it shows!
- Don’t be afraid of color!! Colors really stand out in images and take a so so outfit to a Holy Moly outfit!
- Too tight is bad, to baggy is just as bad! Try to keep your clothing fit to your body so that they show your true shape perfectly without being painted on! Skinny jeans, fitted shirts or flowy shirts with waist details like a belt, show off your figure perfectly. Don’t forget at least ONE dress.
- Super short skirts? Hell. No. Short skirts look awesome at parties but really limit what you can do for your pictures! You need to be able to stand, sit, squat, lay down without having a Lindsey Lohan moment. Skirts are awesome, just make sure they cover you when you move and can move with you!
- Bring heels. Even if you don’t normally wear heels, bring some! Heels lengthen and slim legs and lift tushies (all those good things). They snaz up an outfit. Also bring flip flops or comfy shoes to walk in in between locations.
- Don’t be afraid to go a little nuts! Don’t worry- we’ll get some pictures Grandma will love to put up, but we’ll also get some fun, out of the box ones to show off to your friends. Think HIGH FASHION edge or crazy creative themed. In your preconsult we’ll plan those outfits together and then pick the perfect locations. You won’t be alone in this.
- Need some accessories help? No problem! I have a stock of headbands, headpieces, necklaces and earrings to compliment every outfit and are new for the season! With any SESSION you book- you will have access to chose from these.
- You want something COMPLETELY unique? PERFECT! I have a partnership with CostumeRentals.org (the Guthrie Theatre’s costume warehouse) to get you styled and set up with some amazing concept/art pieces to put your style over the edge. This is either available complimentary if you book the ULTIMATE session or a la carte in any of the other sessions.
HERE IS MY BASIC WHAT- TO -WEAR LIST
I send this list to every one of my senior clients and then have them send a pic of each outfit back to me. Many of my seniors bring way more than this (which is awesome!) but here’s a good starting place.
(at least) One casual outfit- Skinny jeans, cami (white or black), shirt, sandals & heels
(at least) One casual dress- boho flowy or maxi. Even better? one long and one short!
- I will add on a headpiece to this for a couple of shots with your hair down! I have flower wreaths, vintage 20s glam Great Gadsby style headbands, modern gold headband or red bandana a la Rosie the Riveter
(at least) One formal dress (hello PROM DRESS!) or more black tie look. I have a selection of modern necklaces and jewelry that I’m DYING to add to your dress…
(at least) One super high fashion or super artistic styled look- Have the perfect walk the runway look or great art concept look? Want to add on a fascinator, stole, 40’s birdcage, victory rolls or corset to your look? Consider styling by CostumeRentals to create your perfect, unique look. You can book that session HERE. Want more info on how to get creative with your portrait session? Check out my GET CREATIVE info page and receive a FREE POSING GUIDE!
STILL lost? Check out my fashion inspiration page on Pinterest or drop me a note HERE and I’d love to help!